Fake apps exploded onto iTunes and Google Play last November 2016, just in time for holiday shopping. Apple “cleaned up” iTunes in an effort to quell users’ concerns, but hackers still find workarounds. Unfortunately, these fake apps pose a real threat to the security of your network. Especially if your company has anything but the strictest BYOD (bring your own device) policies in place. And the more your network’s users socialize and shop on their smartphones, the greater the risk of a damaging breach on your network.
So what can you do?
First, keep yourself from being fooled. Anyone can easily be tricked unless you know what to look for. Take the following advice to heart and share it with your team:
Beware of Fake Apps!
In case you weren’t aware, one of the latest and most dangerous Internet scams is fake apps. Scammers create apps that look and behave like a real app from a legitimate store. These fake apps can infect your phone or tablet and steal confidential information, including bank account and credit card details. They may also secretly install on your device malicious code that can spread, including to your company network.
Take a moment and reflect on these five tips before downloading any app:
- When in doubt, check it out. Ask other users before downloading it. Visit the store’s main website to see if it’s mentioned there. Find out from customer support if it’s the real deal.
- If you do decide to download an app, first check reviews. Apps with few reviews or bad reviews are throwing down a red flag.
- Never, EVER click a link in an e-mail to download an app. Get it from the retailer’s website, or from iTunes or Google Play.
- Offer as little of your information as possible if you decide to use an app.
- Think twice before linking your credit card to any app.
Most importantly, get professional help to keep your network safe. It really is a jungle out there. New cyber scams, malware and other types of network security threats are cropping up every day. You have more important things to do than to try and keep up with them all.
The Most “Bullet-Proof” Way To Keep Your Network Safe
Let’s not let your company become yet another statistic, hemorrhaging cash as a result of a destructive cyber-attack. Call us TODAY at 1.800.638.9784 or e-mail MyIT@networth.ca and let’s make sure your systems are safe.
We’ll provide you with a Cyber Security Risk Assessment to check for and safeguard against any points of entry for an attack. This service is FREE, but DO NOT RISK WAITING: contact us NOW before the next scam puts your network at risk.